BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Flashback of Flyness: Langston Hughes


Today in African American Lit we discussed Langston Hughes and some of his most prolific works. Dr. Foster played a few clips of Hughes reciting his poetry...the dude is a beast. I've realized that the reason we are so creative is because people have paved the road for us. I find it interesting how Hughes fuses Blues & Jazz in his work. Although they are not the easiest to read there is something to be gained from any work by Langston Hughes, the best writer of his time. I really dig many of his poems but 2 that stick out are "Motto" and "The Weary Blues." Peep "The Weary Blues" video below.....

M O T T O
I play it cool
and dig all jive
That's the reason
I stay alive.
My motto,
As I live and learn,
is:
Dig and Be Dug
In Return.

"The Weary Blues":

0 comments: